You’re getting closer and closer to your PCS (Permanent Change of Station) Move date and you have just three weeks to go. You probably have most of your things organized and ready to go. Just in case, we have created a “Three Weeks before your Move” checklist to assure that you don’t forget any important details or items.
Three Weeks Before PCS Move:
- Contact your mover and reconfirm your pickup and delivery dates.
- Notify your credit card companies of your new or temporary address if you have not already done so.
- Submit and confirm your change-of-address with USPS (United States Postal Service)
- Don’t forget to clean out any storage areas – especially those out-of-sight areas such as attics, crawl spaces or basements.
- Contact your military pay office to recertify Basic Allowance for Quarters (BAQ) to have them sign off on your PCS.
- Cancel any local deliveries such as newspapers.
- If you or any of your family members or pets are on any type of medication, be sure to renew your prescriptions or get any refills you may need during your transition.
- Take care of dry cleaning any clothing, dry cleaning or drapes if you are taking them with you.
- Notify any financial advisors, stock brokers, or investment counselors of your new or temporary address.
- Reconfirm your moving dates if you are using the PPSO (Personal Property Shipping Office)
- Begin cleaning up your current residence.
- This is very important: If you are taking advantage of “military weight allowances”, separate your books, papers and equipment as these items will be weighed and listed separately on your shipping inventory. If you have hired professional movers or packers, let them know to separate these items as your “professional items” so that their weight will not be included in your weight allowance.
- If you have loaned anything out to local friends or family members, now would be the time to reclaim those items – sometimes it takes a long time to get things back.
- Plan out what you’re going to eat for the next three weeks considering the food you have left in your cabinets and refrigerator.
- Pay up and close out all of your utility company accounts and provide them with a new address so that they can send you any deposits owed back to you.
- If changing banks, clean out the contents of your safe-deposit box and put them in a safe box until you reach your new location.
Military Movers is dedicated to helping military families relocate, sell, and purchase real estate. We also help military families find temporary housing. When you need help, give us a call 907-622-5000
As the date of your PCS move gets closer you want to make sure you have taken care of all the details leading up to your move. If you are at the “three months before your move” stage, check out our previous article for that PCS checklist. We are now ready to help define the tasks you need to complete two months before your move.
Two Months Before PCS Move:
- If you or your family members have jobs, you will want to notify your current employer that you will be relocating and request a referral letter or letters. They will also want to update their resumes and begin their job search in the new location.
- Make sure all maintenance and repairs on your vehicles are taken care of.
- Make sure you have proof of insurance and you know where that proof is in case you need to present it.
- Find out what the requirements are for a new driver’s license and registration by contacting the Department of Motor Vehicles at your new location.
- Contact your insurance company about home and automobile insurance and find out if you are able to insure your high-value items before moving them.
- Check out the schedules and enrollment requirements for schools at your new location if you have school-aged children.
- If you have preschool aged children, begin checking out preschool and/or day care options at your new location.
- Now would be a good time to visit your military base finance center if you need assistance with organizing your finances.
- Organize as much as you can and dispose of or sell any items you don’t need. Some great ideas for selling items online include Craigslist, Fiverr, and eBay.
- Pet owners, make sure your pets vaccinations are up to date.
- If you are going to purchase a new home, you definitely want to begin the process as soon as possible. Contact Military Movers Real Estate at (907) 622-5000 for help with all your military moving needs.
- If you need to ship your vehicle and are using your base transportation office, notify them all the necessary information, including the estimated shipping weight.
- Check the expiration dates on any credit or debit cards you plan on using during your move. If necessary, call and order new cards.
Use this PCS checklist to help you remember all the details. Military Movers Real Estate LLC is here to help military families with PCS moves, TLF assistance, CDC recommendations and everything related to relocating, or the sale or purchase of real estate in Anchorage, Alaska.
Moving of any kind requires planning. Military Movers has put together a checklist to help you with the process and details to make your PCS move easier and more efficient: Our PCS Move Checklists covers all the details you need including everything from packing to getting setup in your new location depending on what phase of the process you’re in.
Three Months Before PCS Move:
- Determine whether you prefer a Personally Procured Moved or you’d like the government to assist you with your move.
- Starting saving for moving expenses that are non-reimbursable.
- Notify your landlord that you may be moving, but do not provide him/her with an exact date.
- If you have a vehicle(s) that need to be shipped, begin making those arrangements.
- Make an appointment for a counseling session at your base transportation office, if you are an active service member.
- Get appraisals for collections or antiques, and create an inventory of valuable items – you may even want to take pictures or videos of these items to document their current condition.
- Make a list of whom to notify of your move and forwarding address.
- Transfer club and organization memberships where possible.
- Begin keeping track of all your tax-deductible moving expenses including the costs associated with pre-move house hunting.
- Organize all of your personal records: insurance papers, warranties, birth certificates, etc.
- If you still have stickers on your furniture or other items from previous moves, remove them.
- Sort through and give away or sell any clothes or other items you no longer want or need.
- Take care of all necessary dental, medical and optical appointments.
- Have a Power of Attorney or LOA (letter of authorization) drawn up for unforeseen circumstances
- If you have children, discuss the move with them so they will be ready and more comfortable with relocating.
- If you have an infant or toddler, start planning for special moving needs.
This checklist will help you get started with the beginning stages of your PCS Move. Military Movers also helps military families move, relocate, locate and obtain temporary and permanent housing in and around Alaska. Contact us today!