As the date of your PCS move gets closer you want to make sure you have taken care of all the details leading up to your move. If you are at the “three months before your move” stage, check out our previous article for that PCS checklist. We are now ready to help define the tasks you need to complete two months before your move.
Two Months Before PCS Move:
- If you or your family members have jobs, you will want to notify your current employer that you will be relocating and request a referral letter or letters. They will also want to update their resumes and begin their job search in the new location.
- Make sure all maintenance and repairs on your vehicles are taken care of.
- Make sure you have proof of insurance and you know where that proof is in case you need to present it.
- Find out what the requirements are for a new driver’s license and registration by contacting the Department of Motor Vehicles at your new location.
- Contact your insurance company about home and automobile insurance and find out if you are able to insure your high-value items before moving them.
- Check out the schedules and enrollment requirements for schools at your new location if you have school-aged children.
- If you have preschool aged children, begin checking out preschool and/or day care options at your new location.
- Now would be a good time to visit your military base finance center if you need assistance with organizing your finances.
- Organize as much as you can and dispose of or sell any items you don’t need. Some great ideas for selling items online include Craigslist, Fiverr, and eBay.
- Pet owners, make sure your pets vaccinations are up to date.
- If you are going to purchase a new home, you definitely want to begin the process as soon as possible. Contact Military Movers Real Estate at (907) 622-5000 for help with all your military moving needs.
- If you need to ship your vehicle and are using your base transportation office, notify them all the necessary information, including the estimated shipping weight.
- Check the expiration dates on any credit or debit cards you plan on using during your move. If necessary, call and order new cards.
Use this PCS checklist to help you remember all the details. Military Movers Real Estate LLC is here to help military families with PCS moves, TLF assistance, CDC recommendations and everything related to relocating, or the sale or purchase of real estate in Anchorage, Alaska.