Moving of any kind requires planning. Military Movers has put together a checklist to help you with the process and details to make your PCS move easier and more efficient: Our PCS Move Checklists covers all the details you need including everything from packing to getting setup in your new location depending on what phase of the process you’re in.
Three Months Before PCS Move:
- Determine whether you prefer a Personally Procured Moved or you’d like the government to assist you with your move.
- Starting saving for moving expenses that are non-reimbursable.
- Notify your landlord that you may be moving, but do not provide him/her with an exact date.
- If you have a vehicle(s) that need to be shipped, begin making those arrangements.
- Make an appointment for a counseling session at your base transportation office, if you are an active service member.
- Get appraisals for collections or antiques, and create an inventory of valuable items – you may even want to take pictures or videos of these items to document their current condition.
- Make a list of whom to notify of your move and forwarding address.
- Transfer club and organization memberships where possible.
- Begin keeping track of all your tax-deductible moving expenses including the costs associated with pre-move house hunting.
- Organize all of your personal records: insurance papers, warranties, birth certificates, etc.
- If you still have stickers on your furniture or other items from previous moves, remove them.
- Sort through and give away or sell any clothes or other items you no longer want or need.
- Take care of all necessary dental, medical and optical appointments.
- Have a Power of Attorney or LOA (letter of authorization) drawn up for unforeseen circumstances
- If you have children, discuss the move with them so they will be ready and more comfortable with relocating.
- If you have an infant or toddler, start planning for special moving needs.
This checklist will help you get started with the beginning stages of your PCS Move. Military Movers also helps military families move, relocate, locate and obtain temporary and permanent housing in and around Alaska. Contact us today!